Good afternoon lovely people! Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend- I certainly have! It’s funny that despite how busy life gets, if were passionate, we always make time for the things that we enjoy doing- and blogging deliciously healthy recipes is something I just love to share with you guys. These recipes are often developed through me standing in the kitchen, looking at a table of different fruits and plant-based ingredients and experimenting how good being healthy can really taste! I blogged a recipe a while ago- my vegan lemon & coconut loaf and just loved the way these flavours complimented each other. So today I give you, these deliciously flavoured vegan cupcakes made with plant-based deliciousness. They’re great for sharing (especially when you have a big family like I do :)). I find baking such a sociable way to spend time. I love creating recipes that I can share with friends and family, along with encouraging them to opt for the healthy ‘treats’ instead of the traditional kinds of ones that are packed with processed and refined sugars.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 2 1/2 cups of self-raising wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 cups of soya milk
- 2 lemons (for zest and juicing)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
For the icing-drizzle
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- Juice of half of a freshly squeezed lemon
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 12 cupcake cases.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, apple cider vinegar and soya milk, until smooth.
- Mix in the coconut oil, then the vanilla essence and desiccated coconut.
- Grate the lemon zest and fold into the mixture. Then squeeze in the juice from the 2 lemons. This will achieve a very lemony taste to the cupcakes so if you are not keen on a strong lemon flavour just don’t add as much of the juice.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared cupcake cases and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before drizzling with icing.
For the icing- mix all the ingredients in a bowl and drizzle over the lemon and coconut vegan cupcakes.
I hope you enjoy this vegan cupcake recipe as much me, my family and friends did!