I started brainstorming some new recipes this week and thought I would keep it simple with a nutty vegan vanilla dessert. I have been making a lot of healthy snacks recently so decided to bring you a new cakey-recipe! I began to write down lots of different flavours/ingredients whilst still keeping in mind that I wanted some nutritional value from this. Thats where the nutty flavours came in- almond milk (unsweetened) in particular is very good for you! It provides us with a good source of calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B, and the antioxidant Vitamin E. It’s also great for glowing skin!
Now this was a first attempt so I may alter the recipe at some point. However it actually tasted rather yummy so thought I would upload the recipe for you guys today. As it’s Valentines Day I thought I would make a heart shaped cake- but of course still using organic plant-based ingredients. I kept the sponge recipe quite simple with subtle vanilla-almond flavours. Really its the cashew frosting that makes this vegan cake what it is. As the cashews worked so well in my banana & cashew loaf I thought I would try and whip up some frosting for this dessert, that really allowed you to taste the delicious cashew flavour.
This is the perfect Valentines vegan recipe! All the ingredients I used were complimented beautifully with the fresh and fruity taste that the strawberries provided.
- 3 cups of wholewheat self-raising flour
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups of fresh strawberries for decoration
For the frosting
- 3/4 cups of cashews
- 3 tablespoons of almond milk
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease a cake tin with coconut oil. (I used a heart shape tin but, obviously, any shape is fine!).
- In a large bowl, combine the wholewheat flour, dark brown sugar and baking powder.
- Gradually start to add the almond milk (about 1/2 cup at a time) and mix well until the mixture starts to look smooth. Add the apple cider vinegar and gently stir in the vanilla extract. You can mix this recipe using an electric whisk, however I always like to use a wooden spoon.
- Then add the coconut oil, making sure you have achieved a smooth mixture.
- Place in the oven and allow 28 minutes for the cake to bake, until a knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the tin.
For the frosting
- In a food processor, mix the cashews until they are ground down finely (looking a but like dust).
- Place the ground cashews in a bowl, and add the almond milk. Start adding the icing sugar until you achieve a thick, whipped consistency. You can do this with a wooden spoon. You may want to add water depending on how thick or thin you want to frost it.
- Leave the cashew icing in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set – making it a little firmer.
- Only once the sponge is completely cool, can you ice it with the cashew frosting.
- Cut up the strawberries and decorate as you desire.
Although this looks very much like a Valentines Day dessert- it doesn’t have to be. You can make this dessert any time and for anyone.
If you don’t end up making the sponge, I highly recommend making the frosting! It will go with any vanilla/nutty cake/cupcakes.