I hope you guys like green tea because I have another matcha recipe for you! Normally I drink match-powder as a tea or in a smoothie or use it as an ingredients in my raw ‘healthy snack’ recipes. But recently, I have been starting to add the ingredient to my baking to see how it tastes and what yummy ideas I can come up with. The benefits of matcha are extremely effective as due to their powerful antioxidant content- so who wouldn’t want to add it in to their diet where possible! I like to try a variety of different matcha brands and for this particular recipe I have used PureChimps matcha powder.
So after a bit of experimenting in the kitchen, I took my lemon and coconut vegan cupcake recipe and adapted it, swapped a few ingredients and came up with these deliciously healthy green tea cupcakes which are 100% plant based. This means they are free from eggs, dairy and any other animal products, suitable for vegans. They are also free from any processed or refined sugars, as are all my healthy recipes.
Ingredients (makes 10 vegan cupcakes)
- 2 1/2 cups of self-raising wholewheat flour
- 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar (unrefined)
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 2 lemons (for zest and juicing)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 4 teaspoons of PureChimp matcha green tea powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line 12 cupcake cases.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, then slowly add in the almond milk, until smooth.
- Mix in the coconut oil, then the vanilla essence, then apple cider vinegar and bicarbonate soda.
- Grate the lemon zest and fold into the mixture. Then squeeze in the juice from the 2 lemons. This will achieve a very lemony taste to the cupcakes so if you are not keen on a strong lemon flavour just don’t add as much of the juice.
- Lastly, mix in the matcha powder.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared cupcake cases and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
For the icing
- 2 cups of icing sugar (may want more or less depending on the consistency you wish to achieve)
- 2 tablespoons of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of matha (to sprinkle on top)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until you achieve desired consistency.
To keep up to date with my healthy recipes follow my SHK instagram page.