The perfect indulgent chocolatey treat!
INGREDIENTS (Makes 14 cookies)
For the salted caramel:
- 200mL single cream (or alpro non-dairy single cream)
- 150g light brown sugar
- 20g butter (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
For the cookies:
- 200g butter (or non-dairy alternative)
- 180g light brown sugar
- 60g granulated sugar
- 1 egg (or 2 tbsp flax + 2 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 240g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g dark chocolate chunks or chips
- To make the caramel: add the single cream and sugar to a saucepan, mix and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down a simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture thickens and reduces slightly. Switch the heat off and add the butter, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool. Once cool, freeze the caramel into 14 discs on a tray (about 2 tsps each), or use an ice tray for 2-3 hours.
- For the cookies: Beat together the butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes in a stand mixer until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg/flax egg and vanilla and beat for a further minute.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- With the mixer on a slow speed, slowly add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Fold in the chocolate chunks (reserve a few for topping)
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion out 14 balls of cookie dough onto a lined baking tray. Remove the hardened caramel from the freezer.
- Take a ball of cookie dough and make a well in the middle with your thumb for the caramel. Place the caramel inside and tuck the sides over so all the caramel is covered. Stud with a few extra chocolate chips. Repeat for the rest of the cookies.
- Place the filled cookie dough balls into the fridge for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 170 degrees C.
- Bake the cookies for 13 minutes and then try and leave to cool completely before tucking in.